Working together for a world free of chemical weapons

On Wednesday 23 May, we were hugely honoured to host His Excellency Ahmet Üzümcü, Director-General of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. Our president, Professor Sir John Holman, welcomed distinguished guests to our London home at …

Read more from Chemical Weapons…

Nigerians protest to Yale University over racial bias

The Nigerian community in the U.S. have protested against the racial bias incident against a Nigerian, Ms Lolade Siyonbola, a graduate student at the Yale University. The Organisation for the Advancement of Nigerians (OAN), in a letter addressed to the …

Read more from Yale University…

Ebola in Congo not yet a global health emergency, say health chiefs

Congo’s latest Ebola outbreak does not yet warrant being declared a global health emergency, the World Health Organisation has announced, as officials rushed to contain the virus that has spread to a city of more than a million people. Congo’s latest Ebola outbreak does not yet warrant being declared a global health emergency, the World Health Organisation has announced, as officials rushed to contain the virus that has spread to a city of more than a million people.

Read more from Republic of the Congo…

Ebola risk ‘very high’ in Congo as confirmed cases rise

Congo’s latest Ebola outbreak now has 14 confirmed cases as health officials rush to contain the often deadly virus in a city of more than a million people. The World Health Organisation is holding an experts’ meeting to determine whether the epidemic warrants being declared a global health emergency.

Read more from Republic of the Congo…

The new OPCW report on chlorine use in Idlib is another disgrace: Inconsistent, incomplete, implausible

On February 4, two days before a UN Security Council meeting on chemical weapon issues, a Syrian army helicopter flew into Idleb governorate which is held by al-Qaeda. Escaping the quite effective air defenses of the terrorists it dropped two chlorine gas cylinders near a militarily irrelevant agricultural warehouse 40 kilometers away from the front line of the war. Eleven men of fighting age who are living in the al-Qaeda ruled territory were allegedly impacted by the released gas but none of them was seriously hurt. The implausible story above is the base of a recent report by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. All ‘evidence’ for the tale comes from organizations which tightly cooperated with al-Qaeda and other militant ‘rebel’ groups in Syria and are paid by ‘western’ governments opposed to Syria. The implausible story is repeated in the ‘western’ press without any journalistic skepticism. The British Guardian writes: The fact-finding mission by the OPCW on the Saraqeb attack determined that “chlorine was released from cylinders by mechanical impact on 4 February,” it said on Wednesday. The team’s conclusions were based on finding two cylinders that were determined as previously containing chlorine. … The incident is by no means the worst chemical weapons attack during the seven-year civil war, but it led to 11 people being treated for breathing difficulties. Western observers said the use of helicopters in the attack suggested Syrian government involvement since the opposition did not have access to helicopters. Saraqib in Idleb governorate has been in the hands of the Syrian ‘opposition’ since late 2012/early 2013. In April 2013 Syrian ‘rebel’ forces alleged that a chemical attack with Sarin took place in Saraqib. However only one person died, allegedly from of Sarin intoxication, while no Sarin traces were found on two other affected persons.

Read more from Signs of the Times…

Watchdog confirms chlorine gas used in attack on Syrian town

Chlorine was probably used as a weapon in the Syrian town of Saraqeb in early February, according to the international chemical weapons watchdog. The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons released details in its latest report on poison gas being unleashed in Syria’s civil war.

Read more from Chemical Weapons…

.com | Don’t exaggerate, Sisulu asks AfriForum

This was International Relations and Cooperation Minister Lindiwe Sisulu’s message to AfriForum, the conservative so-called civil rights organisation whose members recently travelled to the US where they met with conservative think tanks, Republican senator Ted Cruz’s staff and did an interview with Fox News the White House’s news channel of choice. Their aim was to lobby role players in the US about what they call the “persecution” of Afrikaners, especially with relation to farm murders and Parliament’s decision to start a process to review section 25 of the Constitution with an eye on making expropriation without compensation possible.

Read more from Ted Cruz…